Last week Maiya started having diarrhea and then I started noticing blood too. To make a long story short: after two doctors appointments: one to check her problem last Tuesday and the other her normal two-week check up last Friday the pediatrician thinks thatMaiya is allergic to milk in my diet. There is a 99% chance that if I am able to eliminate everything with the milk protein in my diet that she will be fine and will outgrow the allergy after about a year and there is a 1% chance that it is something worse and well we just won’t go there because its only a 1% chance and I worry enough just being a mom of two kids. Besides that she is very healthy. At her check-up she weighed 7lbs 11oz and measured 21 inches. I am pretty confidant that she only has a milk allergy because she is so healthy otherwise and doesn’t seem to be bothered by the goings on in her diaper that have beenfreeking me out. Apparently having a milk allergy even in breastfed infants is very common and really will affect me more than Maiya if we get it under control. The downside of this for me is that I CAN’T EAT ICE CREAM OR CHOCOLATE FOR A YEAR!!!! I am already without caffeine and alcohol. After reading off the list of things that I can’t have (cheese, butter, whey, casein, lactose, not just dairy free or lactose free or vegan foods because even they sometimes contain milk proteins) the pediatrician said “but you can havepopsicles”. Thanks lady! Needless to say on top of being so worried and stressed about Maiya’s health now I am stressed about not being able to eat anything but meat and lettuce. I sobbed on the phone to Clint when we got out of the office (yes, I have serious food issues) and he was nice enough to remind me that my life was not over, this is not that big of a deal, we could be dealing with MUCH worse, and that he would join me in this good food free diet. That is why I married Clint and love having a family with him. He keeps me in check and is incredibly supportive. So now a week later I am a little less stressed and am trying to embrace this new diet. I feel guilty for feeling sorry for myself, but what can I say I have been under a lot of stress lately and I do love food-I cracked. Grocery shopping is tricky, but luckily we shop at health food stores and try to eat as natural as possible so labels are much easier to read and I am finding that there are some decent alternatives to the foods I love. So far a week free from milk seems to be helpingMaiya, she doesn’t seem cured, but the dr. said it takes a few weeks to know if it is really working. So in a couple weeks we will have Maiya checked out and hopefully she will be doing even better.

So yeah long story short right, could you imagine if I posted the long version?!

Advertisements